Watch out England..Here I Come!! :)

Monday, February 15, 2010

If you've anything to tell me, it had better be tonight

So i can definitely add blogging to my list of things I'm not good at. Yup, it goes: whistling, any type of math, directions, playing the flute, cartwheels, and blogging. Honestly, i just get so behind and then i just never feel like tackling the project & actually sitting down and writing everything down. I'm not sure if you got the lyric reference i put as the title (an amazing song by the way) but basically i told myself that it had to be tonight that i crossed this off my to-do list :) I don't mind though because I'm comfy & cozy in my pj's with my buddy frank sinatra serenading me in the background, could life get any better??

The past week (and a half) has been pretty normal, with the usual ups and downs and a trip to Hogwarts haha okay maybe that part's not normal unless you're Hermione ;) Sunday, our university had a superbowl party so that was pretty cool but since there's a 5 hour time difference, the game wouldn't start until around midnight, so i didn't end up going. I was a little bummed because i would have liked to go and hang out with everyone, but i probably would have been up till 4 or 5am and Monday is my busiest day. Plus, i wasn't too concerned about either of the teams this year. I did though, check online before my first class on Monday to see who won just in case anyone asked haha I definitely decided that my Health class is absolutely my least favorite class of the week. First of all, its about 15 mins away by bus so i have to leave a lot earlier than normal which leaves me hardly any time for lunch. But the main reason is that i have never had any sort of health class before and its not really related to my major at all because its about policies and government documents so i usually am completely lost the whole lecture. It just makes me really uncomfortable not knowing what the professor is talking about and having everything go over my head, especially when she has us do group work and present to the class. Last week i was totally honest with my group members and told them that i had no idea what we were supposed to be talking about, but they said that i had to say something anyway during the presentation. I'm not really sure what i said, but it was really short and probably made no sense. I'm hoping that things get better for me in that class because i don't know how much more useless babble i can come up with for each presentation ;) Monday night, we had our BCA class about British Culture. Of course, it was boring, so Brittany and i entertained ourselves by planning our majorly epic, gonna-tell-our-grandchildren-about-it-someday, super awesome spring break trips! :D haha i like that name. I wont tell you guys about it yet because its not totally finalized but once we figure everything out (which could be awhile..it takes A LOT of planning! i now know how amazingly talented my dad is because he always plans great vacations for our family..my husband better be like that too haha) So ill just keep you in suspense for now ;)
Wednesday I slept in, which is always my favorite thing to do, and later that night we all got dressed up to go to Boogie Lounge. I just want to clear something up though, that when i talk about this place, it is a bar but i have never gotten anything to drink there. I literally only go there to dance with my friends :) My idea of a good time does not include passing out, not remembering what happened, and being sick as a dog the next day. No thanks. Anyway, thursday I had my favorite class and we had a speaker from a school for children with special needs and she talked to us about Autism. It was super interesting because she gave teaching techniques that help benefit children on the Autism spectrum, which is something that i found really useful. I felt like my pen couldn't write fast enough to catch everything she said! We're going to her school in a few weeks so that will be really great :)

On Friday, Brittany, Bethany & i went to Gloucester for the day because none of us had classes and its only a town away from us and less than a pound for the bus. We went out to lunch first at a little place in town that has great food and then went to catch the bus. Unfortunately Bethany had to pay the full adult price because she forgot her student id but for Brittany & i it was less than a pound so that was great! We weren't totally sure which stop to get off at and considering my amazing sense of directions (ha!) i was pretty worried that we would get lost. But, obviously enough, we could see the cathedral (it is really big) from the bus so we got off at one of the stops and walked over to it. When we got there, we were asked to make a small donation in order to take pictures, so of course we all gave a little bit because it was too gorgeous not to take pictures! I am really starting to love old cathedrals; everything is quietly beautiful with amazing architecture that has lasted for centuries. You just don't get this kind of stuff in the states! One of the cool things about this cathedral was that you could get a free tour by one of the workers and if you ever get to go here, definitely do it because we learned sooo much from our tour that we never would have noticed otherwise. He told us about the history behind the different monuments and what some of the many beautiful stained glass windows were images of. One window was the size of a tennis court! So, although this cathedral was packed with historical significance, probably my favorite part of it was turning the corner and walking straight into Hogwarts! It was sort of funny because our tour guide turned to us and quietly asked if we were harry potter fans...ha! if he only knew ;) Yup, part of the first, third, and sixth movies were shot in the cloisters within this cathedral. They make up some of the hallways in the movies..& it was SO cool to be walking them just like the characters did! I felt like hermione :) Brittany & i had a duel with our pretend wands while Bethany laughed and took pictures (shes not really interested in harry potter..i dont even know why i'm friends with her). It was a lot of fun to wander around there and imagine parts of the movie taking place. After staying for awhile longer taking pictures, we walked around the town of Gloucester for a bit and shopped until we caught the bus again to come back. That night, we all had bought lots of candy at the "dollar store" aka Poundland, so we were super hyper and full of energy. We watched the latest harry potter movie so that we could see parts of the cathedral, but then afterwards we were all too scared to go to bed! Since we were still on our sugar high, we decided to have a little dance party in the kitchen at 2am and made funny videos for our friends back home. It was hilarious and if you want to see one of the videos, just ask me and ill send you the link :) We finally got to bed around 4ish but we had such a fun time just dressing up in crazy outfits and dancing around the hall (don't worry..all my flatmates had gone home for the weekend)

Sunday was valentines day, and if you know me at all, you know that it is not my favorite holiday (but i wont get into that here ;) Most of my friends here are single, so we decided that it would be fun to throw a little singles party and celebrate our independence haha The boyfriend of one of the girls on our flat was coming to surprise her so we all dressed up so that she would too, & he took her out for a nice dinner. It was fun to get dressed up and just hang out with friends for the night :) We just played poker and our own version of twister that we made up the night before, with the dots on the floor and on the wall. Monday was Bethany's birthday and our night class was cancelled so some of us went out to see the movie Valentines Day, which was really good, and then out for dessert afterwards.

Last night was a big night for drinking in our town, with the event called Carnage. Basically, you pay a certain amount of money for a t-shirt and you go from bar to bar to bar all night until everyone is really really drunk. Of course, none of my friends were going, so we planned our spring break trips and watched the Bachelor :) Around 4:30am this morning, a big group of really drunk people came onto our floor screaming and running around and woke up our whole flat. It was really crazy but they eventually left. Its things like this that make me appreciate Messiah a whole lot more. Today I didn't really do much because i slept in really late but we had a little girls night instead of going out :) We made homemade facial masks out of bananas, honey, and lemon juice (it ended up looking like vomit which was disgusting,but it really worked!...my sink is still clogged with it though :/). Then we exfoliated our hands and feet, ate some ice cream and junk food, and then painted our nails while watching Beauty & the Beast :) It was so much fun!

Well, i really should go to bed because TOMORROW IS OWL CITY IN LONDON!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhh!!! i am sooooooooooo excited!!!! :D :D Check back here on Saturday and ill tell you all about it :) goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. Dee,
    You are a good blog writer. I look forward to reading them all the time. On my way home from work today an Owl City song came on the radio and I though just maybe you were listening to the same song right at that time. Kind of like Fieval. (Somewhere out there) That is my song reference!!!!! Hope the trip to London was a success.
    Love and miss you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete